MYN will help you to:
- Learn the “9 Steps to Take Immediately Following a Disaster” to secure your home and to protect your neighborhood. It is hard to think clearly following disaster and these steps will help you to quickly and safely take actions that can minimize damage and protect lives.
- Identify the Skills and Equipment each neighbor has that would be useful in an effective disaster response. Knowing which neighbors have supplies and skills helps your disaster response be timely, and allows everyone to contribute to the response in a meaningful way.
- Create a Neighborhood Map identifying the locations of natural gas and propane tanks for quick response if needed.
- Create a Contact List that helps identify those with specific needs such as elderly, disabled, or children who may be home alone during certain hours of the day.
- Work together as a team to evaluate your neighborhood during the first hour following a disaster and take the necessary actions.
For more information, go to http://www.emd.wa.gov/myn/index.shtml.
Sunol Mapping Efforts
Alameda County Fire Department provides Sunol CERT with the training materials needed to conduct neighborhood mappings. Generally, groups of homes called "blocks" from 5 to 20 homes, depending on how closely the homes are spaced, get together to learn how to best help each other immediately following a major earthquake or similar disaster. We began the mapping efforts in the summer of 2010. To date, we have not yet mapped all the blocks of homes in the community, but progress is still being made. The map below shows blocks of homes that have been mapped (in color), blocks that have a Block Leader identified but are not yet mapped (solid lines), and blocks of homes in need of a Block Leader (dashed lines).
The map below is current as of October 25, 2011.
October 25, 2011
Our goal is to have mapped all those blocks for which a Block Leader has been identified by the end of the year. If you live in Sunol and have not been invited to a blocking meeting, you may be in a block that is still in need of a Block Leader. If you are interested in becoming a Block Leader, please contact Lynn or Shirley by visiting the CONTACT INFO tab on this site.